Summer Workshop for ALL ADVISORS
Here it is!! Your chance to Relax, Rejuvenate and Reconnect and get away - bring the family if you’d like - and still get geared up for another SkillsUSA Minnesota school year. I hope you can to join us for our annual conference retreat. By Popular demand we are heading up north for our 9th anniversary where we will be meeting at the BEST WESTERN PREMIER THE LODGE On Lake Detroit, 1200 East Shore Drive, Detroit Lakes, MN 56501. 218-847-VIEW (8439) or 800-761-VIEW (8439) the first week in August 3- 5, 2015. (Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday).
Reserve your spots by June 17th! This is a chance to get together and share challenges as well as successes and receive “FREE” SkillsUSA items given away ONLY at this conference.
All 55 guest rooms and suites are lakefront and smoke free, most offering a private balcony. Discover dramatic décor; glass enclosed walk-in showers, upscale bedding, and flat panel LCD HDTV, free HSIA. Relax in our fireside lobby with bar and daily grand piano sunset serenades.
Registration fee for the workshop is $70.00 and should accompany the registration form. Please send form and payment to:
Jennifer Polz, Executive Director
P.O. Box 29286
Minneapolis, MN 55429
Fax your reservation form in at: 763-560-1936
June 17th, 2015
Our Best Practice Presenters will provide you information on (9) different Session this year!
- SkillsUSA Advisor’s Training for NEW and Experienced Advisors
- “NEW” - “The Communications Across Barriers” this session will provide secondary and postsecondary educators, SkillsUSA Advisors an interactive insight to better understand poverty and gain tools for making a difference with students. Learn to communicate more effectively with those living in poverty. Meet our trainers in this engaging workshop from material from the “The Poverty Institute”. This interactive session will provide participants ways to become skilled in communicating and working more effectively with people who live in the crisis of poverty. Use role play, activities, modeling and dialogue to understand and practice the core concepts. Come away with concrete strategies and materials that you can use right away to make a difference with your students, and with SkillsUSA.
- “NEW” - Tech Tools and Social Media UPDATES - Bring your wireless laptop or tablet with you!
- “NEW” - HP LIFE E-LEARNING: YOUR FREE BUSINESS RESOURCE TOOL
- “NEW” - Chapter Excellence Program- Learn about SkillsUSA’s new and exciting Chapter Excellence Program. Chapters are encouraged to attain excellence and receive incentives for exemplary chapter performances. The program consists of three award tiers, with the first two tiers recognized at the state level and the final tier eligible for national recognition.
- UPDATES from our CTE representatives from MN Dept. of Ed. & MN State Colleges & Universities
- SkillsUSA: Central Themes for 2015-2016 Membership Kit Resources
I look forward to spending some time with you in the beautiful Detroit Lakes area at the beginning of August. It’s a beautiful area with so many fun activities to checkout. The Lodge on Lake Detroit offers the latest of hotel style and amenities to be found in the Detroit Lakes, Minnesota area. Located on the shore of pristine Lake Detroit and easy to find on Highway 10, Detroit Lake's newest hotel resort is nestled in a lovely tree-filled setting guaranteed to enhance your stay. Check it all out at: http://www.thelodgeonlakedetroit.com
An agenda is attached for you to review.
This Advisor’s Summer Conference /Retreat is a chance to bring your family, as we build in time to site see and spend time together networking and sharing ideas to help each of us with our local chapters.
This is an Informal Conference – dress is Casual for this conference. Wear SkillsUSA Logo attire if you have some.
Luxury and Value at The Lodge on Lake Detroit
You get a lot for the price of a room at BEST WESTERN PREMIER The Lodge on Lake Detroit. Start your day with your free in-room coffee service. Then head down to our daily free breakfast bar where you can relax with your free local newspaper. Stay in shape anytime of year with our 24-hour hotel fitness center with top-of-the-line equipment. Keep up on your business (if you have to) with our business center, and free wireless high speed Internet access.
Detroit Lakes Hotel Lodging Features:
- Lakefront Views for ALL rooms and suites
- All rooms with private balcony or patio
- Free Hot Breakfast Buffet
- Free Wireless High-Speed Internet Access in Guestrooms & Public Areas
- Free Local & 800 Calls
- Free In-Room Coffee
- Microwave, Refrigerator in ALL rooms and Detroit Lakes Hotel Fitness & Business Centers
Package Rates: (Monday and Tuesday Night’s Lodging.)
Lodging includes Breakfast each morning, a Dinner Meal for both evenings (per person) and Activities Package For the THE LODGE on Lake Detroit:
LODGING: Nightly accommodations for Resort Rooms ONLY are either two queens or one king bed,
42” Flat Screen TV, beautiful lake view, mini fridge & microwave,
$164.00 per room/per night - (Price for room is up to 1- 4 people per room including children)
(Includes hotel tax, sales tax and Breakfast each morning for room guests)
MEALS: A nightly group SkillsUSA dinner for the entire family is available for $15.00 per adult person and for children $5.00 each. ONCE REGISTERATION is received- a Menu will be sent out in July to make your selections for both children and adults. Please note: All Lunch meals during the conference are on your own.
ACTIVITIES: Enjoy the beautiful 550 ft Lake front on Big Detroit Lake, 150 ft Private Sandy Beach
Private Dock, Boat Slips, Swim Area, Sandy Beach, Paddle Boats, Canoes
Marine and Dock Space is available on space, per night- per slip. (10-slip marina)
You will be responsible for this personal Charge. Call ahead and reserve your spot.
June 17th, 2015 is the cutoff dates for the room block.
Tentative Cost for SkillsUSA Summer Conference
Projected TOTAL for Conference is: $428.00 ADD additional meal cost per family member for Monday and Tuesday dinners at $15.00 per person/ per night or for children add $5.00 per child/per night)
Tentative Cost of Summer workshop is below:
- $328.00 TOTAL for Lodging for two nights @ $164.00 per night. This does include your breakfast up to a family of four.
- $30.00 2 Nightly Group Dinners @ 15.00 per person/per night
- $70.00 Registration Material for Advisor Attending
TOTAL COST: $428.00
Please fill out the Excel Conference Registration Form and send back to reserve your spot!
Final Agenda and Confirmation will come out the third week in July!
Monday, August 3rd Meet in Room – 1200 Place
2:30 – 3:00 PM SkillsUSA Registration, 1200 Place Clock hours will be received at the end of this conference
3:00 – 3:30 PM Welcome & Conference Overview- SkillsUSA Board of Directors
3:30 – 4:00 PM Part 1: HOT TOPICS: UPDATES on the MN Educational System with the Department of Education
4:15 – 5:30 PM Board Members will meet on Director’s Evaluation
4:15 – 5:30 PM SkillsUSA Advisor’s Training
5:45 – 6:30 PM Team Building Activity- Lakefront by the beach
6:30 – 7:30 PM “BBQ Dinner on the Beach” Buffet –Lakeside (for those that sign up)
8:00 – 10:00 PM Nightly Bon Fires for the group get together for idea sharing with your State Director.
Tuesday, August 4th
7:00 AM – 8:00 AM Hot Breakfast Buffet, Reflections Room
8:00 AM – 11:15 AM “The Communications Across Barriers” - The Poverty Institute
10:00 – 10:20 AM Healthy Snack Break – Stretch Exercise
11:30 – 1:00 PM Tech Tools and Social Media UPDATE’S for Advisors & SkillsUSA Chapters
1:00 PM – 6:00 PM Lunch on your own! Free Time to Enjoy the Sites of Detroit Lakes
6:00 – 7:30 PM Dinner on the Beach- Lake Side (for those that sign up)
8:00 – 10:00 PM Nightly Bon Fires for the group get together for idea sharing.
Wednesday, August 6th
7:00 – 8:00 AM Hot Breakfast Buffet, Reflections Room
8:00 AM – 8:40 AM Part 2: HOT TOPICS: UPDATES with the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities System (MnSCU)
8:45 AM – 9: 15 AM “NEW” HP LIFE E-LEARNING: YOUR FREE BUSINESS RESOURCE TOOL
9:20 AM – 10:00 AM Chapter Excellence Program
10:00 AM -11:00 AM 2015-2016 - High School MEMBERSHIP KIT RESOURCES “SkillsUSA: Champions at Work - Connecting You to Career Success.” The 2015-2016 - College/Postsecondary membership kit, “Our Jacket, Your Dream”.
- Conference Formats
- 2015-2016 Calendar
11:00 AM Check-Out of Hotel
Safe Travels to everyone.
Enjoy the rest of your Summer Vacation!