Page 1 of 3
SkillsUSA Minnesota State Conference Information
Happy 2014! I hope your holiday break was an enjoyable and happy time with family and friends. As the New Year gets into full swing, I wanted to write and say how much I appreciate all you do and provide you with a few pieces of information that I hope will be helpful to you and your students as we prepare for The 47th Annual Minnesota SkillsUSA Championships Conference will be held on Friday, March 28th, Saturday, March 29th and Sunday, March 30th, 2014. The conference will be housed at the DoubleTree by Hilton Bloomington Mpls. South, 7800 Normandale Boulevard, Bloomington, MN 55435, and (952) 835-7800. Skill Contests will be held across the metro area. Buses will be available to transport students to and from most events.
Updated for 2014!
There are some new format changes for this year’s conference packet. Registration needs to be submitted by using the newly redesigned state conference Excel Spreadsheet. Simply fill it out and send it electronically to the state SkillsUSA office. Please look for the “NEW” document and follow the instructions carefully. You will also notice that there is a “NEW” Contest Grid Chart for all (90) contests. The Grid Chart provides you with an overview of the number of contestants/contest, whether it is a team or individual contest, contest codes, notebook requirements, etc. All forms are located on the website here. I hope that you find the improvements easy to use and navigate.
To help the state SkillsUSA office with accuracy there will be NO additions after March 8th
There will be NO On-Site substitutions this year at all contests. No exceptions!
ITEM 1 - CONFERENCE ATTENDANCE
- Each student who attends the conference should participate in at least one competitive event and must attend all scheduled conference activities.
- ONE ADVISOR MUST ACCOMPANY EVERY 10 STUDENTS ATTENDING THE CONFERENCE. Chapter advisors should assume the responsibility of seeing that students report to the competitive events they have registered for and that rules of conduct are maintained. Students may not stay at the hotel without an accompanying advisor.
ITEM 2 - RULES AND REGULATIONS FOR COMPETITIVE EVENTS
- All participants must be paid active members of State and National SkillsUSA as of February 3, 2014.
- Students must compete in the contest area that aligns with their occupational objective for the current school year.
- Participants may enter (1) skill contest and (3) general contests as long as they can work it into their schedule. This is excluding Mechanics Dexterity, Job Interview and all team events. Please remind students that they are eligible for only one national contest regardless of how many contests they win at the state level. IF A STUDENT WISHES TO COMPETE IN MORE THAN (1) SKILLED CONTEST AREA - ADVISOR MUST RECEIVE APPROVAL FROM THE STATE DIRECTOR BEFORE SIGNING-UP!
STUDENTS must be PRESENT at the AWARDS CEREMONY or FORFEIT ANY MEDALLION, and the right to ATTEND the NATIONAL COMPETITION.
ITEM 3 - REGISTRATION COST FOR CONFERENCE
- Please register each student attending the conference by using the registration form that is located here. Registration is due Friday, February 21st, 2014.
- EARLY BIRD Registration fees are $100.00 per person. Registration fees include registration materials, supplies, awards, bus service, evening entertainment, Awards Breakfast, etc.
- LATE Registration Fees will be $125.00 per person for registration arriving after February 21st, 2014.
- Make checks payable to SkillsUSA Minnesota. Chapter advisors are responsible for picking up their chapter registration materials at the registration table at the DoubleTree by Hilton Bloomington Mpls. South on Friday, March 28th, 2014.
Please send payment for conference registration to:
Jennifer Polz, Executive Director, SkillsUSA Minnesota
P.O. Box 29286
Minneapolis, MN 55429
ITEM 4 - HOTEL RESERVATIONS
Please send your completed reservation form directly to the Double Tree by Hilton Bloomington Mpls. South Reservations
Department at the following E-mail address:
In the subject line of your e-mail please list it as SkillsUSA-“your school name”
- The Hotel Reservation Form is in a Word Format. To ensure a smooth reservation process they ask that all conference attendees use this form. Please send this directly to the Reservations Department at the E-mail address noted above
- PLEASE TYPE INTO THE FORM. DO NOT HAND WRITE INFORMATION.
- The Hotel will NOT guarantee room types. If you request a double due to three or four people in a room you may get a king with a roll away or pull out sofa.
- Once your rooms have been assigned they cannot be changed. Therefore it is the responsibility of the advisor to group names of students wishing to room together correctly on the reservations form.
- If it is necessary to cancel a reservation it must be done prior to arriving at the hotel.
- Upon check in please note only advisors can pickup room keys. DO NOT SEND STUDENTS TO THE FRONT DESK TO GET KEYS
The Double Tree by Hilton Bloomington Mpls South has a credit card policy in place to help protect your privacy and personal
information. Please be advised that they will not extend credit for hotel services on the strength of a Purchase Order only.
- Please use the Provided CREDIT CARD AUTHORIZATION FORM – located on the forms page. This document will be faxed to a Secured Fax Number in the accounting department at the hotel.
- You may also mail in a check or present one at check in but the reservations must be secured with a credit card.
- The card will not be charged if another form of payment is presented by the time of check in.
- MAILED or E-MAILED credit card forms will NOT BE accepted and will be discarded upon receipt without notification.
- Your form of payment must be indicated on the reservation form in advance so the reservations team can coordinate correctly with the accounting department.
- IF YOUR PAYMENT WILL BE SENT WITH SOMEONE’S NAME OTHER THAN THE ADVISOR LISTED ON THE RESERVATION FORM PLEASE INDICATE THIS ON THE PAYMENT FORM.
Please contact the State SkillsUSA Office if you have questions or are having problems. Thank You!
ITEM 5 - REGISTRATION, PERSONAL and LIABILITY RELEASE FORMS & CODE OF CONDUCT
2014 MSC-NLSC Form 1 To insure that the major objectives of our Skill Conference are met, all participants, including advisors, will be required to adhere to a Code of Conduct and ALL PARTICIPANTS MUST SIGN THE Registration, Personal and Liability Release Form (MSC/NLSC Form 1) of the Minnesota Association of SkillsUSA. Medical and Insurance Information is requested in case of an emergency on this form. Photocopy the form (both sides) and get appropriate signatures and information from each person attending the conference. Please mail or fax them in with your registration materials or bring them to the registration table at the conference. These forms must be in turned in before you can receive your registration materials.