Page 1 of 3
SkillsUSA Minnesota State Conference Information
Happy 2015! I hope your winter holiday break was enjoyable and happy with family and friends. As the New Year gets into full swing, I wanted to write and say how much I appreciate all you do and provide you with a few pieces of information that I hope will be helpful to you and your students as we prepare for The 48th Annual Minnesota SkillsUSA Championships Conference will be held on Friday, April 10th, Saturday, April 11th and Sunday, April 12th, 2015. The conference will be housed at the DoubleTree by Hilton Bloomington Mpls. South, 7800 Normandale Boulevard, Bloomington, MN 55435, and (952) 835-7800. Skill Contests will be held across the metro area. Buses will be available to transport students to and from most events.
Some contest will be held prior to the Championship weekend. The following contest dates are confirmed at this time:
Saturday, March 21st- Graphic Communications, Screen Printing and Graphic Imaging Sublimation will be held in Austin, MN.
Friday, March 27th – Carpentry, CNC Milling Specialist, CNC Turning Specialist, Marine Service Technology, Mechatronics, Motorcycle Service Technology, Technical Drafting, Snowmobile Service Technology will be held in Alexandria, MN.
There are some new format changes for this year’s conference packet.
Online Registration Process
- ALL PARTICIPANTS MUST BE REGISTER MEMBERS BEFORE YOU WILL BE ALLOWED TO REGISTER THEM FOR CONFERENCE PARTICIPATION.
- Registration will be on-line at www.skillsusa-register.org/Login.aspx
- A “NEW” Contest Grid Chart /Workbook is also provided for your use with a list of all contests. The Chart provides you with an overview of the number of contestants/contest per school that is allowed, whether it is a team or individual contest, contest codes, if there is a notebook requirements, etc.
- All forms will be located on the website at: http://www.mnskillsusa.org/ after January 20th, 2015. I hope that you find the improvements easy to use and navigate.
To help the state SkillsUSA office with accuracy there will be NO additions after March 8th
There will be NO On-Site substitutions this year at all contests. No exceptions!
ITEM 1 - CONFERENCE ATTENDANCE
* Each student who attends the conference should participate in at least one competitive event and must attend all scheduled conference activities.
- ONE ADVISOR MUST ACCOMPANY EVERY 10 STUDENTS ATTENDING THE CONFERENCE. Chapter advisors should assume the responsibility of seeing that students report to the competitive events they have registered for and that rules of conduct are maintained. Students may not stay at the hotel without an accompanying advisor.
ITEM 2 - RULES AND REGULATIONS FOR COMPETITIVE EVENTS
* All participants must be paid active members of State and National SkillsUSA by February 27, 2015.
* Students must compete in the contest area that aligns with their occupational objective for the current school year.
- Participants may enter (1) skilled contest and up to (3) general contests as long as they can work it into their schedule. This is excluding Mechanics Dexterity, Job Interview and all team events. Please remind students that they are eligible for only one national contest regardless of how many contests they win at the state level.
- IF A STUDENT WISHES TO COMPETE IN MORE THAN (1) SKILLED/TECHNICAL CONTEST AREA- The new On-Line Registration system will LIMIT YOU to just (1) in this category. **Please CALL the State Office and check to see if there is enough space to add (1) additional skilled contest into your students schedule. (763) 560-1932.
- AN ADVISOR MUST RECEIVE APPROVAL FROM THE STATE DIRECTOR to add any additional contest!
STUDENTS must be PRESENT at the AWARDS CEREMONY or FORFEIT ANY MEDALLION, and the right to ATTEND the NATIONAL SkillsUSA COMPETITION.
ITEM 3 - “NEW” - CONFERENCE REGISTRATION PROCESS & PAYMENTS
Please register each student & advisor attending the conference at www.skillsusa-register.org/. All participants must be REGISTERED
MEMBERS of SkillsUSA before you can register them for the conference. Registration is due February 27th, 2015.
Online Registration Process
- Go to www.skillsusa-register.org/Login.aspx (This is also the site you submit membership)
- Type in email address and password you used when registering members (if you forgot your password click Email My Password)
- Click on blue Conference link
- Click on New Registrant OR if students have attended a conference already this year, click on Lookup Previous Registrations
- Follow the prompts to register a participant. If you still have questions watch this video:
- When finished registering all students AND advisors, click Submit Registration. To confirm registrations select Conference > Registration Summary from the menu on the main page.
- Submit payment following the instructions below.
Registration fees include registration materials, supplies, awards, bus service, evening entertainment, Awards Breakfast, etc.
- EARLY BIRD Registration (before February 22nd): $100.00 per person.
- LATE Registration: $125.00 per person
Make checks payable to SkillsUSA Minnesota and send to:
Jennifer Polz, Executive Director, SkillsUSA Minnesota
P.O. Box 29286
Minneapolis, MN 55429
ITEM 4 - REFUNDS
Refunds will be extended only in the event of extenuating circumstances. Contact the Executive Director in advance of the conference if you are in doubt. No Refunds after: March 13, 2015.
ITEM 5 - CONFERENCE OBSERVERS
Student Observers must be officially registered, pay the $50 registration fee, follow all the rules and regulations of the conference, and be chaperoned by an adult advisor.
ITEM 6 - HOTEL RESERVATIONS
Please send your completed reservation form directly to the Double Tree by Hilton Bloomington Mpls. South Reservations
Department at the following E-mail address:
In the subject line of your e-mail please list it as SkillsUSA-“your school name”
DEADLINE: March 13, 2015
Hotel Rates: PER ROOM, PER NIGHT for 2015 Conference
- The Hotel Reservation Form is in a Word Format. To ensure a smooth reservation process they ask that all conference attendees use this form. Please send this directly to the Reservations Department at the E-mail address noted above
- PLEASE TYPE INTO THE FORM. DO NOT HAND WRITE INFORMATION.
- The Hotel will NOT guarantee room types. If you request a double due to three or four people in a room you may get a king with a roll away or pull out sofa.
- Once your rooms have been assigned they cannot be changed. Therefore it is the responsibility of the advisor to group names of students wishing to room together correctly on the reservations form.
- If it is necessary to change or cancel a reservation, it must be done 3 days prior to arriving at the hotel.
- Upon check in please note only advisors can pickup room keys. DO NOT SEND STUDENTS TO THE FRONT DESK TO GET KEYS
The Double Tree by Hilton Bloomington Mpls South has a credit card policy in place to help protect your privacy and personal information. Please be advised that they will not extend credit for hotel services on the strength of a Purchase Order only.
- Please use the Provided CREDIT CARD AUTHORIZATION FORM – located on the forms page. This document will be faxed to a Secured Fax Number in the accounting department at the hotel.
- You may also mail in a check or present one at check in but the reservations must be secured with a credit card.
- The card will not be charged if another form of payment is presented by the time of check in.
- MAILED or E-MAILED credit card forms will NOT BE accepted and will be discarded upon receipt without notification.
- Your form of payment must be indicated on the reservation form in advance so the reservations team can coordinate correctly with the accounting department.
- IF YOUR PAYMENT WILL BE SENT WITH SOMEONE’S NAME OTHER THAN THE ADVISOR LISTED ON THE RESERVATION FORM PLEASE INDICATE THIS ON THE PAYMENT FORM.
Please contact the State SkillsUSA Office if you have questions or are having problems. Thank You!
ITEM 7 - HOTEL POOL
The hotel has a swimming pool. Encourage students to bring swimsuits. A reminder--SkillsUSA members will be subject to the same "Pool Rules" as other guests of the hotel.